Friday 7 April 2017

Fill-Me-In Fridays #4

Hey guys, I'm back with another Fill Me In Friday! This is a weekly meme created by myself and I will leave the Goodreads page linked here if you would like some more information and to join in! Every Friday, there is a different topic which you must answer 5 questions about. The questions are always the same but your answers will change depending on the theme.

This weeks theme is: Today is World Health Day! Pick books that feature illness as a main theme (physical or mental.)

A lot of books these days feature mental health which is so good as it promotes understanding and support of those issues so this should be fairly easy to do!


1. What was the last book you read featuring illness as a main theme?

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. This book has been mentioned so many times on this blog now, I can't even help it I just loved it so much. This book surrounds a virus which breaks out on a spaceship and causes the inflicted to turn psychotic. Such an intense read!


2. What is the next book you think you'll read featuring illness as a main theme?

I really want to read Room Empty by Sarah Mussi soon as it is published on April 6th and I need to review it. This book sounds so interesting to me, it's about two people who are suffering from different conditions. Dani has very severe anorexia and Fletcher is a drug addict trying to stay clean. I've never read a book about either of these conditions before so it will be interesting to do so.

3. What is the best book you've read that features illness as a main theme?

Side Effects by Jennifer M.Barry. This was my first read of the year and one of my favourites so far. It's a very impactful story about a young boy suffering from severe anxiety and depression. He doesn't have any friends and feels really lonely until a new girl joins the school and gives him hope. It's so beautiful, I love it.


4. What is the worst book you've read that features illness as a main theme?

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J.Watson. This is a crime/thriller novel with such an exciting and unique premise which is why I wanted to pick it up but for some reason I just couldn't get through it. I tried for ages and I ended up DNFing it. It's about a women with memory loss and each day she wakes up, she forgets pretty much everything about her life. 


5. What is the book you've read that features illness as a main theme with the best cover?

Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls. I didn't really enjoy this book that much, I gave it 2/5 stars. I did really like the list format but that's about it, but the cover is absolutely gorgeous. This book is about a young boy with cancer and I would definitely say it's more middle grade as it seems to be written for quite a young audience which is maybe why I didn't enjoy it as much.


Ways to Live Forever

What would your answers have been? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Really great meme idea! I love today's topic... let me check it out! I need to read Illuminae but I haven't heard of the others! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete