Tuesday 21 March 2017

Zenn Diagram by Wendy Brant- Review

Publication Date:

April 4th 2017

Publisher:

Kids Can Press

Goodreads synopsis:

Eva Walker is a seventeen-year-old math genius. And if that doesn’t do wonders for her popularity, there’s another thing that makes it even worse: when she touches another person or anything that belongs to them — from clothes to textbooks to cell phones — she sees a vision of their emotions. She can read a person’s fears and anxieties, their secrets and loves … and what they have yet to learn about calculus. This is helpful for her work as a math tutor, but it means she can never get close to people. Eva avoids touching anyone and everyone. People think it’s because she’s a clean freak — with the emphasis on freak — but it’s all she can do to protect herself from other people’s issues. 

Then one day a new student walks into Eva’s life. His jacket gives off so much emotional trauma that she falls to the floor. Eva is instantly drawn to Zenn, a handsome and soulful artist who also has a troubled home life, and her feelings only grow when she realizes that she can touch Zenn’s skin without having visions. But when she discovers the history that links them, the truth threatens to tear the two apart.



REVIEW:



Cover- I like this cover, I think it's cute and shows what kind of book it will be. The mathematical diagram shaped like a heart is really witty and clever and I love the colours together, they just scream 'cute contemporary'. 


Plot- One of the main things I loved about this book was how unique it was. Our main character Eva has special powers, but not the amazing magical kind; the kind that sort of ruin your life. She can't touch anyone, or anything really in case she has one of her visions that leave her traumatised by other people's problems.  I've never read a book like this before, but I really enjoyed it! It was so unpredictable, there were so many plot twists I didn't see coming and that really left me unable to put the book down because I was so invested in the story. Don't think that you have to be a huge math nerd to enjoy this book either, math was my worst subject at school but I still loved this. I liked how cute it was, how fast paced a read it was and pretty much everything about it really. 



Image result for fractals gif

Characters- The characters in this book were amazing. Literally, I loved all of them. Zenn was pretty much the cutest thing ever, like, why is he not real? He was so caring and thoughtful and selfless, he constantly put his family and friends before himself, I mean, he worked 3 jobs alongside college. If that isn't committed I don't know what is. He always made really bad puns that just made him so endearing and he clearly cared about Eva a lot. Their relationship was so solid, they got through everything together and he was like her rock most of the time. I didn't like when he went without speaking to her for days but obviously this was just because he was stressed and didn't know what to do- but come on Zenn, it takes 10 seconds to send a text letting her know you're okay so she could stop worrying. The only character who I didn't really like at times was Charlotte. I thought she was quite superficial and obsessed with the idea of being popular at times, though I respected her decisions towards the end. I'd love to read a book about hers and Josh's relationship as Josh was probably my favourite character and their relationship was so cute. Josh was so much smarter and stronger than anyone thought, including himself. Also, the stone thing, was heartbreaking. *If you've read it, you know what I mean right??*


Image result for heartbroken gif

Writing- Such beautiful and descriptive writing, especially when describing the fractals. Her writing really drew you into the book and made you feel connected to the story, almost like you could feel yourself in there with the characters, experiencing everything they did. Some of the things said were very relatable.


Overall- This was a really great read, I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend if you're looking for a cutesy read with a bit more depth to it than expected. It will draw you in and make you completely fall in love with the characters.



Image result for 4 stars


Have you read this book? If so, what did you think of it? If not, would you like to? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review! I'm going to tweet it out -- are you on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, yes I've just created a Twitter account for my blog and it is @adailycloud

      I'm so glad you liked the review!

      Delete