Thursday 9 March 2017

Book Travelling Thursdays #8

Hey guys, it's Thursday so you know what that means! Book Travelling Thursday is a weekly meme created by Catia where we discuss book covers relating to a certain theme. If you would like to join in the fun, or just have some more information, the Goodreads page is linked here.

This week's theme is: Yesterday was International Women's Day- Choose a book with a strong female main character.

There are so many books with amazing strong female leads but as always, I wanted to pick a book that I haven't spoken about much before. So I picked a series with not one, but five strong female main characters: The Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard. 

I'm sure every single on of you has heard of this series as the TV show is so famous now, and for good reason, it's probably one of my favourite shows of all time. (If I'm being honest, I prefer the show to the books.. but the books are still amazing!) Alison, Aria, Hannah, Spencer and Emily get so much crap thrown at them for like, literally 10 years and they are so strong with overcoming their fears and insecurities and they're just such deep and real characters, I love them all.


Original cover:


Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)

I like this cover. I don't love it but I don't absolutely hate it either. I think the font is super pretty and intricate, and I love how simple it is, with just the doll standing on the front posing. It represents the story well without giving too much away. My main issue with this cover is the colouring, yellow and hot pink clash so much, and I'm really not a fan of bright bold yellow anyway, it hurts my eyes and it takes up most of the cover.


Favourite covers:


   Kłamczuchy (Pretty Little Liars #1)   პატარა საყვარელი მატყუარები (Pretty Little Liars, #1)  Όμορφες μικρές ψεύτρες (Όμορφες μικρές ψεύτρες, #1)
   (Polish)                             (Georgian)                    (Greek)

I think these covers are really cute, and as I say pretty much every time, I hate people in covers when they're actual photographs but I like the cartoon-like people illustrated on the last two covers. I feel like the first cover represents the storyline so well, it's a red shoe in mud. Like if that doesn't scream PLL I don't know what does. I love the colours of all these, and the font of the text is gorgeous in all of them too. Although I do feel that the first two relate to the book a lot better than the last one, it's still a cute cover.





Least favourite covers:

Pretty Little Liars 1    Лукс и грях (Малки сладки лъжкини, #1)   Mooie meisjes hebben soms gruwelijke geheimen (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
   (Dutch)                           (Bulgarian)                   (Dutch)

Sorry Holland, obviously didn't like your covers so much this month. I don't have an awful lot to say about these honestly, it won't be a super ranty week as I don't hate the covers, they're just my least favourites. The first cover looks like a movie poster I've seen for a cheesy chick-flick but I can't remember which movie at all. It's just a bit boring though, and has a photo of half a girl's face in. The second cover just looks really childish and like I can imagine it being a cover for Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. Serious question though, is the third girl along the actress who plays Cheryl Blossom in Riverdale or is that just me??? The last cover isn't really too bad, I just don't like the fact half the people aren't coloured in, it doesn't make sense.

Which of these is your favourite cover? Let me know in the comments.


2 comments:

  1. I loved Pretty Little liars as a TV series. I've read all the books and it did start to bore me after about the third book. But the tv series had me glued to my seat. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I agree the TV show is so much more exciting and intense than the books, though I've only read the first two.

      Delete